Competition is good. It gives the players the power. Remove EA Games' monopoly on life simulation games and they'll be forced to cater to us not just with content but with reduced prices and improved quality. Many Sims players haven't played anything other than Sims games and don't realize that it could be so much better if EA Games only gave their staff more manpower and time to do the job right. Those of us who have played other games, great games, undermine any protest we might make by continuing to dump our money into the Sims franchise. (Guilty.)
We do it because there is no current, notable rival if we want to play a life simulation game. Even if we're displeased with the level of game quality and want to protest, there's nowhere else we can go for the same service. So we put up with their bugs and bloated files and grumble while we fork over handfuls of cash for expansions.
Me, I want an alternative. I want a real game company to give the Sims franchise a run for its money. Not because I want the Sims to go out of business but because competition will force EA Games to improve the Sims if they want to keep us. They've never had to sweat over a rival. They've never had to work or worry about our patronage. I want to see that complacency broken.
I want players to have the power and reap the benefits.
- exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.
- an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
- the exclusive possession or control of something.
- something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
- a company or group that has such control.